How to Make a Perfect Cup of Iced Sad Cow
Let's talk Cold Brew...
Cold brew coffee is the hottest (ahem...) craze to hit coffee in years. Back in the day, iced coffee meant they took yesterday's left over coffee and poured it over it ice. It was all kindza nasty.
Someone (not sure who) decided that if you take coffee grounds, soak them in water for anywhere from 8 to 24 hours, it makes an amazing, smooth, flavorful iced coffee and cold brew coffee was born.
Today we see cold brew on tap: nitro cold brew, flavored cold brew, cold brew lattes and more and more and more in your favorite coffee shop, roastery and grocery store. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of decaf cold brew. We're not sure why. 🤔
The good news is, it's easy to make your own cold brew at home.
Some stuff you'll need
- Freshly roasted coffee beans We've been enjoying our Mexico decaf in cold brew and it's highly recommended,
- Some kind of jar or container to brew the coffee in. A mason jar works great. The bigger the jar, the more cold brew you'll be able to make.
- We'd highly recommend you pick up some cold brew bags - preferably from Alto Cold Brew although there are others on the market. These are the easiest to use. If you don't use a filter, you're going to have to figure out how to filter the grounds out of the water and that can be a big pain.
Okay, here are the steps
Don't worry if it seems like a lot to start. It's a fun new hobby you're embarking on to impress your friends and family!
- Measure out your coffee. If you're using a 32 oz mason jar to brew in, use about 6 oz of coffee (half a bag).
- Grind the coffee coarsely. It should look like kosher salt
- Put the coffee in the filter bag.
- Put the filter bag in the brewing container.
- Fill the brewing container with cold water.
- Leave the cold brew sit for about 12 hours.
- Remove the filter bag and squeeze it slightly to drain it back into the container.
- Mix equal parts cold brew and water or milk and sever over ice.
Give yourself a high-five, you did it! 👏
Cold Brew Sad Cow Decaf is recommended to be enjoyed in a rocking chair, evening post-dinner movie, and or in bed while reading a book.
p.s. When you make your iced sad cow, share it on instagram or FB tagging @sadcowcoffee and we'll repost it!